Upstream bandwidth usage

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 23:12:44 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 1:22 PM Karsten Thomann via NANOG
<nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 10 June 2022 10:15:15 CEST Chris Hills wrote:
> > On 10/06/2022 00:31, Mel Beckman wrote:
> > > Your point on asymmetrical technologies is excellent. But you may not be
> > > aware that residential optical fiber is also asymmetrical. For example,
> > > GPON, the latest ITU specified PON standard, and the most widely
> > > deployed, calls for a 2.4 Gbps downstream and a 1.25 Gbps upstream
> > > optical line rate.
> > Not all residential fiber is asymmetric. Nokia XGS-PON supports 9.953
> > Tx/Rx (e.g. LTF7226 transceiver).
> XGS-PON isn't Nokia specific and can be bought from many other vendors.
> Even as probably no one is deploying XG-PON in new deployments (10/2.5G), I
> don't believe ISP start selling symmetrical services to residential customers
> as a standard, even if the PON itself is symmetrical.
> I know you can get from many providers a symmetrical service on G-PON, but
> that is an option, not the default.
>
> Does anyone know the Asian market where they are using E-PON?
> After my very short search it seems they provide best effort up to 1G without
> any real plans...

My question is always: how are people using these technologies doing
queue management. I took apart one ONT so far, it supported RED and
hardware flow control, but if it were configured or not, couldn't
tell. Sonic (SF) had about 90ms of buffering in their upstream.

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC