What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Jan 26 01:13:41 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 21:56, Michael Thomas wrote:

> What I was thinking of is more of "over the top" where I don't need to
> be an Xfinity customer (lot least of which is that I can't).

I've seen MNO's partner with other providers to run a VLAN for their
service on their wi-fi network. For various reasons, one of which
involves ease of use by an MNO customer, it hasn't really taken off.

Reminds me of the days when you needed to insert a login and APN to
access the GPRS network between 2007 - 2009. Adoption of mobile data
became so much simpler when the phones and SIM cards came pre-configured
to "just connect" to the data network.

It's nice to see your mobile provider's SSID on some random wi-fi
hotspot. But if using it is such a drama, folk will be happy to struggle
with 3G or even EDGE.

Mark.