What do you think about this airline vs 5G brouhaha?

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Jan 20 16:00:11 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-19, at 02:39, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> tl;dr while interference is certainly possible in theory, […]

Reminds me of the first few years I had a handheld digital cellphone (GSM).

There was a theoretical possibility that the (up to 2 W) RF pulses from the phone could trigger the airbags when calling in a car, which would not have been very safe.
This possibility was talked up so much that taxi drivers were screaming at me when I used the phone in the car.
Of course, I ignored them, but it did reduce sound signal/noise a bit during my phone calls.

(Obviously, the airbags were designed to take EMI from all kinds of walkie-talkies that people used in cars and that often had way more than 2 W.
But it was a great story that journalists could sell and that “experts” could use to boost their egos by getting media coverage.)

Grüße, Carsten