home router battery backup

Jay jjn at nuge.com
Thu Jan 13 15:38:53 UTC 2022

Greetings,
    I am a home user.  Much of my home has been rewired to run off of
12-volts D.C. from a large 1200 Amp/Hour LiFePO4 battery bank that is
recharged using Solar.  All my lighting, ceiling fans, water pump, Ham
radio gear, weather alert radio, USB charging stations, alarm system,
security cameras and DVR, my wife's CPAP machine, 40-inch flat screen TV,
ROKU streaming device, etc. all now run off 12 VDC.  High consumption
devices like stove, refrigerators, air conditioners, furnace, still run on
AC but get *much* of their power from a 5kw Grid-Tied Solar array (Enphase
IQ7 microinverters) which I hope to soon add a battery backup to.  There
is also a whole-house 4kw backup generator.  This is what is known as a
"Hybrid" home :)

    ALL of my servers, workstations, routers/hubs, WiFi, are also converted
to run on 12VDC from this battery/solar plant.  In many cases it is just a
matter of adding a DC-DC buck/booster regulator that can be purchased on
Amazon for ten bucks, or so.  These generally take 8-40 volts input and
will deliver whatever voltage output that you desire.  Both my DSL and
FTTH are powered this way.

    It was mentioned that we need to address *reducing* our power
consumption in order to reduce our carbon footprint.  This ongoing project
has helped me to do just that and eliminate so many "power suckers" and
wall-warts from my home.

    We consume around 150 watts on DC and generally around 600 watts on AC
(unless a freezer or air conditioner cycles on).  When the power goes out,
sometimes we don't immediately notice it!  I think I am living inside a
giant UPS, and more independance from the Grid is refreshing.

    Enjoy!
       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
           Ypsilanti, Michigan
           jjn at nuge.com