SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

aaron1 at gvtc.com aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed Jan 12 16:20:08 UTC 2022

I'm still growing in my understanding of SR-MPLS and SRv6.... but I can say that about everything... seems like the one constant in life, and particularly network technology... is change.

Like ytti (saku) mentioned, with SR/SPRING the IGP is finally carrying the Label/Sid, so we no longer need a label distribution mechanism running alongside the IGP (don't need LDP or RSVP).  And for SRv6 vice SR-MPLS, the SID is now the IPv6 address, and not the MPLS Label.  So we don't even need MPLS, but can accomplish network virtualization using a pure IPv6 core.  Reminds me of Cell Mode MPLS vs Frame Mode MPLS... whereas the ATM Cell header VPI/VCI was repurposed as the MPLS label, until we went with straight MPLS shim headers.

In case you are interested, I put a video on my channel showing a quick look at SRv6.  Using Cisco CML, IOS-XR 7.2.2, IS-IS, only using FE80 link local addressing.  L3VPN to prove end to end Customer connectivity over SRv6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrryHbjpnAc

The P node is quite interesting in it's ability to handle this with little to no additional protocols.

-Aaron