LEC copper removal from commercial properties

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at staff.gwi.net
Thu Feb 17 11:21:18 UTC 2022

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:20 PM <hak at cooper.edu> wrote:

> >I believe that should be 19-72A1.
> >
> >https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-19-72A1.pdf
> >
> >Essentially, all services must be transitioned to fiber or wireless by
> August 2nd, 2022.
>
> I'm reading that document and that's not what it appears to say at all.

As someone who participated in that proceeding, your reading is not totally
correct, but much more accurate.

> This seems to be about discontinuing the artificial price restrictions of
> 2 and 4 wire dry pair loops that LECs resell to service providers, e.g.
> competitive DSL providers.

It goes a bit further than that. Their prices are no longer regulated,
under this particular regime but maybe others, and they can not offer the
unbundled copper loop service at all.

A key point is that copper loop Unbundled Network Elements (UNE) are no
longer required to be offered in *urban* areas. Key distinction. In
suburban and rural areas, UNE DS0 (copper loops) are still a required
element.

> I don't see anything in this order which would mandate that LECs
> discontinue
> their own DSL or POTS services.  It would be especially ludicrous since in
> many parts of many markets, there is no alternative at this time.

True. And for this reason suburban and rural UNE DS0 are still required.

For what it is worth, we fought against this discontinuance.

--
Fletcher Kittredge
GWI