Enhance CG-NAT Re: V6 still not supported

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Wed Apr 6 15:26:12 UTC 2022

Hi, Ant:

1)    As I Cc:'ed you, I attempted to contact the author of the IPv4+
draft a few days ago to offer my reading of his work. I have not heard
any response. In short, I believe that IPv4+ is paraphrasing the scheme
of the unsuccessful RFC1385 that EzIP Draft cited as Informative
Reference [12]. -- meaning that EzIP has avoided the trap of such approach.

2)    I went back to earlier versions of the IPv4+ drafts and discovered
a surprising trend. That is, through all eight revisions, there has been
hardly any actual write-up text changes! It appears that the author is
just keeping the six-months-timer ticking.

3)    Since you indicated that IPv4+ was reported to NANOG, maybe you
could retrieve that thread and check with the author about what is the
status?

4)    "Have you approached any vendors about the feasibility of IP
Options being used for switching at line rate in silicon?    ":    No.
For the first phase of implementing EzIP, the configuration is called
RAN (Regional Area Network). It is essentially a numbering plan
enhancement to CG-NAT. There is no change to the basic IPv4 Header. The
only engineering effort is "disabling the program code that has been
disabling the use of the 240/4 netblock", followed by retiring the NAT
function. So that CG-NAT can operate as simple routers, by having the
look-up state-tables capability as backup.

5)    In the long run, yes, processing of the Option Word needs be
considered and ideally be implemented in silicon to achieve the line
rate switching. Many claim, however, such end-to-end connectivity is not
needed according to the current trend, which is primarily Server /
Client model by CDN business. So, EzIP is actually a forward looking two
stage scheme. We can focus on the first phase for now to relieve the
underlying issues. There will be plenty of lead time to upgrade the
silicon when the demand for end-to-end connectivity begins to build up.

6)    " ...   but your replies are practically illegible because of
formatting.   ... ":    I am still learning the proper eMail etiquette
on NANOG. Could you please echo back some of my writings as you
received? So that I can see what they got transformed to.

Thanks,

Abe (2022-04-06 11:25)