[nanog] Re: [nanog] Re: 2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT -

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Apr 5 04:09:23 UTC 2022

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2022, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:
>
>> As one datapoint, two tiny /24's I (not-dayjob) originate are legacy
>> resources.  They cannot be added to either RPKI or the ARIN IRR objects
>> without endeavoring to spend an
>> at-least-this-much-money-price-will-only-go-up-over-time amount.
>>
>> Ironically, to find the way forward, ARIN would require incorporation, the
>> signing of a RSA, and Moar Money for this same organization to have similar
>> v6 blocks, in order to eventually retire these v4 resources.
>
> I guess this legacy IP space, which is probably visible in ARIN's whois DB,
> but for which they provide no additional services unless you sign a LRSA and
> are then on the hook for annual membership fees?

Yes.  No RPKI, no DNSSEC, no Auth IRR.  The featureset available seems to
be frozen in time to what was available "back then".

I particularly find the no dnssec bit Ironic considering the person
holding it is the person who did a great deal of the DNSSec work in a
major DNS implementation.

You're allowed to insert, into WHOIS, an assertion of your originating AS
(like a pre-rpki-rpki) but I do not know of anything that consumes this,
and I believe this is not visible anywhere but WHOIS.

-Dan