[nanog] [nanog] Re: 2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT -

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Apr 5 04:21:57 UTC 2022

On 5 Apr 2022, at 12:09 AM, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
> You're allowed to insert, into WHOIS, an assertion of your originating AS (like a pre-rpki-rpki) but I do not know of anything that consumes this, and I believe this is not visible anywhere but WHOIS.

I’m not aware of anything automated that consumes the Origin-AS information (although that doesn’t preclude someone somewhere including in their route filtering/weighting…)

I have seen people use to express their control over a legacy resource (i.e. setting origin-AS to their new ISP’s AS#) since that is only something that can be done by a party with operational control of the resource in the ARIN registry…  effectively a self-proving LOA.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO