2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT - Approximately 40 hours until potentially significant routing changes (re: Retirement of ARIN Non-Authenticated IRR scheduled for 4 April 2022)

babydr DBA James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Tue Apr 5 00:20:15 UTC 2022

 	Hello Job ,

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:

...snip...

> I think there clearly is an industry-wide trend to move away from
> 'unsigned plain-text non-authoritative' datasets, towards better sources
> of truth such as the VRP data available through the RIR RPKI Trust
> Anchors.
>
> There are variances in how stakeholders implement this paradigm shift:
> some operators move towards wholesale ignorance of non-auth databases
> (like Tata); some operators use softer transition mechanisms (examples:
> what RIPE NCC did in lieu of RIPE-731, or how IRRd v4 in its default
> configuration magically makes RPKI-invalid IRR objects disappear).
>
> I think all of us recognize a need to declaw "third party" IRR databases
> like RADB and ALTDB ("declawing" meaning that it is not desirable that
> anyone can just register *anything*); on the other hand our community
> also has to be cognizant about there being parts of the Internet which
> are not squatting on anyone's numbers *and* also are not contracted to a
> specific RIR.
> Kind regards,
> Job
 	Your final paragraph hits directly on my situation ,  That is as soon as
I can get my small network connected again via hardline connections again .
 	I am not a customer of ARIN except for one asn .
 	I hold maintainership a couple of pre-arin /24's .

 	And until a (imo) reasonable contract with pre-arin holders can be
created AND a reasonable fund dispersement calculation with HARD Set $ values
assigned ,  I will not be a Arin customer except for my one little ASN .  Which
when I was assigned that resource was just $100/yr ,  Imo a reasonable cost .
that cost has now only gone up 50% ,  Again somewhat reasonable cost ,  BUT that
cost going UP is of concern to my meager financial status .

 	I am greatly exasperated that I am not hearing about Public versions of
RPKi repositories in the veign of ALTDB .
 	In other words a Publicly held and Volunteer based entity .

 	Blast I wish I had the financial witheral to back such an enterprise .
If I did it would remain totally vounteer & a not for profit & I'd really like
it to be Voluntarilly funded by the Community .

 	I ask the Community why someone or some entity IS not coming forward and
doing so ?

 		Sorry about the rambling .

 	Twyl ,  JimL