Gmail (thus Nanog) rejecting ipv6 email

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Apr 2 23:05:26 UTC 2022

On 2 Apr 2022, at 6:23 PM, Jeroen Massar via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> There are a lot of bits and bobs that one has to get right for mail to flow, amongst which:
>
> - IP -> PTR lookup -> that hostname lookup, and match to IP again
>   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-confirmed_reverse_DNS)
> - SPF
> - DKIM
> - DMARC
> - ARC (for mailinglists)
> - SRS (When forwarding, rewrite the From and resign DKIM, and then ARC-sign that)
> - Decent TLS
> - MTA-STS

Jeroen -

It is indeed amazing how many protocols we can spin up to address the same underlying problem, time and time again...

If anyone can anonymously join the mail-sending club and send some email [until bad reputation precludes such], and achieving bad reputation results has no real-world implications, and a new network persona (e.g. domain name) is always available, then the problem could be considered intractable by initial conditions – and no amount of anti-spam protocols (no matter how brilliantly designed and engineered) should be expected to durably address the problem.

(It might, however, be interesting to do a regression analysis on the spam mitigation protocol introduction dates – it’d be interesting to know if the expected number protocols that will need proper setup in 10, 20, 40 years…!)

<chuckle>
/John

Disclaimer(s):  my views alone.  This email composed of 100% recycled electrons.