Gmail (thus Nanog) rejecting ipv6 email

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Sat Apr 2 22:24:42 UTC 2022

* danm at prime.gushi.org (Dan Mahoney (Gushi)) [Sun 03 Apr 2022, 00:11 CEST]:
>I've been seeing a long thread about why ipv6 adoption isn't there
>yet. This is half a "paging someone with clue" post and half a
>"...really, guys?" Picard-facepalm post.
>
>I just (earlier this week) had to disable ipv6 outbound on one of
>$dayjob's MX servers, because Gmail, who hosts nanog.org, was
>rejecting our mail due to "our domain's very low reputation".  (In
>this parlance, "Very Low" is an actual indicative metric.) Dayjob is
>the people who make BIND and run a root DNS server.  Totally
>disreputable, I'm sure.
>
>I don't see anything indicating this in our postmaster tools.
>
>I am certain this action is happening completely transparently and
>invisibly to NANOG, unless others have complained.  Whatever UI
>google gives them to manage their domain will not show this.  There
>are no logs they can grep.
>
>I'm told that "gmail's filters for ipv6 are way tighter than ipv4"
>but that's from a non-canonical source.  If this is the case, it
>does very little to further ipv6 adoption, that's for sure.
>
>I've posted over on mailop, and was given a contact (Brandon), but
>haven't heard back.  Gmail's a black box.  I've reached out to a few
>other people, but if anyone here can loan a bat-phone, please let me
>know.
>
>I'm loathe to randomly re-enable ipv6 without contact from someone
>saying why this happened, and how it's been fixed.
>
>-Dan
>(Who actually operates my own network)

I also run my own mail server. I had to firewall off Google's MXes for
this exact reason: silent and not-so-silent email rejection when
offered over IPv6.

Every now and then they rotate their IP addresses, which causes mail
to get dropped for a while.

There is no other conclusion possible than that Gmail is actively
anti-email at this point. I'm pretty sure I receive more spam from
them than I send to them, despite forwarding all emails for a few
family members' domains.

	-- Niels.