[nanog] Re: Gmail (thus Nanog) rejecting ipv6 email

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sat Apr 2 23:31:34 UTC 2022

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022, Niels Bakker wrote:

> I also run my own mail server. I had to firewall off Google's MXes for this
> exact reason: silent and not-so-silent email rejection when offered over
> IPv6.
>
> Every now and then they rotate their IP addresses, which causes mail to get
> dropped for a while.
>
> There is no other conclusion possible than that Gmail is actively anti-email
> at this point. I'm pretty sure I receive more spam from them than I send to
> them, despite forwarding all emails for a few family members' domains.

I too have encountered this.

This comes up on mailop periodically.  It kind of makes me want to drop
entries for the various gmail.com MXes in /etc/hosts, because while
postfix gives me a way to override the one domain (say, gmail.com) it's
whack-a-mole with the various gmail-hosted-domains.

Bind9 has a filter-aaaa feature, but it doesn't quite work this way,
easily, and of course it breaks DNSSEC.

It's my opinion (not that of my employer, necessarily), that gmail is to
email as old-school AOL is to the internet.

<beard color="#808080">

And it's september.

</beard>

-Dan