IPv6 woes - RFC

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Sep 29 21:36:33 UTC 2021

On 9/29/21 2:23 PM, Victor Kuarsingh wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 4:51 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com
> <mailto:mike at mtcc.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 9/29/21 1:09 PM, Victor Kuarsingh wrote:
>>

>>     On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 3:22 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com
>>     <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>>

>>>         On Sep 29, 2021, at 09:25, Victor Kuarsingh
>>>         <victor at jvknet.com <mailto:victor at jvknet.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>         On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:55 AM Owen DeLong via NANOG
>>>         <nanog at nanog.org <mailto:nanog at nanog.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             Use SLAAC, allocate prefixes from both providers. If you
>>>             are using multiple routers, set the priority of the
>>>             preferred router to high in the RAs. If you’re using one
>>>             router, set the preferred prefix as desired in the RAs.
>>>
>>>             Owen
>>>

>>>         I agree this works, but I assume that we would not consider
>>>         this a consumer level solution (requires an administrator to
>>>         make it work).  It also assumes the local network policy
>>>         allows for auto-addressing vs. requirement for DHCP.
>>
>>         It shouldn’t require an administrator if there’s just one
>>         router. If there are two routers, I’d say we’re beyond the
>>         average consumer.
>>

>>     In the consumer world (Where a consumer has no idea who we are,
>>     what IP is and the Internet is a wireless thing they attach to).
>>
>>     I am only considering one router (consumer level stuff).  Here is
>>     my example:
>>     - Mr/Ms/Ze. Smith is a consumer (lawyer) wants to work from home
>>     and buy a local cable service and/or DSL service, and/or xPON service
>>
>     Isn't the easier (and cheaper) thing to do here is just use a VPN
>     to get behind the corpro firewall? Or as is probably happening
>     more and more there is no corpro network at all since everything
>     is outsourced on the net for smaller companies like your law firm.
>

> For shops with IT departments, sure that can make sense. For many
> mom/pop setups, maybe less likely.  The challenge for us (in this
> industry) is that we need to address not just the top use cases, but
> the long tail as well (especially in this new climate of more WFH).

The last startup I worked for a customer wanted audit info on our
corporate network. We didn't have one. We just used various cloud based
services to get our jobs done and rented cloud based vm's for the
customer facing services. I would imagine that a mom/pop setup would do
the same thing these days. Having a corpro network in the small probably
doesn't make much sense anymore let alone the fancy multihoming
scenarios to access it. There are security implications with all of
this, of course, but that's probably the path of least resistance.

Mike