Carbon Monoxide warnings - keep generators outside 20ft away from doors and windows

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Sep 1 23:05:59 UTC 2021

On 9/1/21 15:07, Haudy Kazemi via NANOG wrote:
> Several articles have mentioned 8 transmission lines were lost to the
> hurricane (a single big event event). A casual reader might think 8
> lines would offer an 8-way level of redundancy.
>
> My WAG is the reality of load vs capacity is more like a N-1 or N-2
> redundancy, but that's really just a WAG. It is unclear to me if all 8
> lines were damaged by the storm, or if some failed/tripped when loads
> shifted onto the remaining lines after the first failure occurred
> (cascading failure).

> Does anyone know, or has anyone seen, details?

Several pictures showing massive steel "cat-style" towers on the ground,
as well as news reports that eight transmission lines are down.

Also saw a report that they will be isolating the storm area from the
grid and bringing in temporary power plant(s), restoring critical load
first.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV