An update on the AfriNIC situation

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Sep 1 21:03:06 UTC 2021

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021, 22:46 Owen DeLong via NANOG, <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> > On Sep 1, 2021, at 04:48 , Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
> >

> > On 9/1/21 00:56, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:
> >
> >> Not to put too fine a point on this, but what human cost?
> >>
> >> There were exactly 3 employees that AFRINIC wasn’t able to pay in July,
> including
> >> the CEO (who is one of the major protagonists in creating this problem
> in the first
> >> place). I don’t know who the other two were.
> >>
> >> Everyone else got paid for July.
> >>
> >> AFRINIC has received clearance of enough money to cover their normal
> expenses
> >> for August and September. As such, there shouldn’t be any problems with
> salaries
> >> or “human cost” in those months. Hopefully given that reprieve, cooler
> heads at
> >> AFRINIC can prevail and some form of settlement can be achieved before
> they run
> >> out of money from that reprieve.
> >
> > This is rich!
> >
> > Of course, one should expect people to be mentally settled and do good
> work when they have no security or clarity about whether they will get paid
> at the end of each month.
> >
> > These aren't robots, mate. People have real thoughts and real feelings.
> >
> > Stress is not intangible... it releases cortisol, which delivers a
> number of physiological side effects that work against good health.
> Financial insecurity is just about the worst stress anyone has to deal with.
> >
> > None of us would sleep well if we knew that our source of income is not
> guaranteed, despite what some may say about "As such, there shouldn't be
> any problems with salaries..."
> >
> > Mark.
>
> Well… I don’t see you calling out the stress and cortisol actions for the
> various staff and customers of Cloud Innovation or Larus in your postings
> when AFRINIC first issued an existential threat to their business based on
> made-up policies that don’t actually exist.

Mmmmm see below.

> As such, I’d argue that AFRINIC attacked a much larger population first.

You are not being honest Owen.

See below an extract from AFRNIC CEO message on the termination of CIL.

<snip>

   -

    In order not to disrupt Internet connectivity of the relevant users
   especially in the current context of the COVID-19 pandemic, all affected
   users will exceptionally be granted a grace period of 90 days to consider
   other available options in their best interests. Consequently, the actual
   reclamation of the relevant number resources will occur following the
   expiry of the grace period.

Eddy Kayihura
Chief Executive Officer,
African Network Information Centre (AFRINIC)

<snip>

So how did AFRINIC attack the so called larger population you are claiming
about?

All Cloud Innovation Ltd clients had been given 90 days to work things out
with AFRINIC.

Cheers,
Noah