An update on the AfriNIC situation

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Sep 1 11:55:38 UTC 2021

On 9/1/21 13:21, Tom Beecher wrote:

> There are enough challenges with the internet in Africa to work
> through already. We shouldn't encourage more difficulties by endorsing
> strongarm tactics that prevent issues from being properly adjudicated
> in courts.

One would think...

There are many African-based and African-led organizations that would go
toe-to-toe with AFRINIC over any number of legal disagreements. But
there is not a single African-based and African-led organization that
would ever cut off AFRINIC's supply just for their own benefit, or to
prove a point. None.

I can't even say that it would impose less stress on us, Africans, if it
was one of our own shooting ourselves in the foot in this way, because
we do not have a culture of going against each other in the way that we
are currently witnessing. It's not in our DNA.

That a non-African entity and its posse are stumping their feet on the
African continent in this way, and making poor people even poorer, is as
diseased as it is rotten.

Mark.