S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Oct 12 21:15:44 UTC 2021

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 2:01 PM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

> I think it would be absolutely *stunning* for content providers
>> to turn the model on its head; use a bittorrent like model for
>> caching and serving content out of subscribers homes at
>> recalcitrant ISPs, so that data doesn't come from outside,
>> it comes out of the mesh within the eyeball network, with
>> no clear place for the ISP to stick a $$$ bill to.
>>

> I'm familiar with some work and ideas that have gone into such a thing,
> and I'm personally very much against it for non-technical reasons.
>
> Given how far the law lags behind technology, the last thing anyone should
> be ok with is a 3rd party storing bits on ANYTHING in their house, or
> transmitting those bits from a network connection that is registered to
> them.

*chortle*

So, I take it you steadfastly block *all* cookies from being stored
or transmitted from your browser at home?

Oh, wait.  You meant it's OK to let some third parties
store and transmit bits from your devices, but only
the ones you like and support, and as long as they're
small bits, and you're sure there's nothing harmful or
illegal in them.

So, that means you check each cookie to make sure
there's nothing in them that could be illegal?

You sure someone hasn't tucked something like
the DeCSS algorithm, or the RSA algorithm into
a cookie in your browser, like this?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Munitions_T-shirt_(front).jpg
https://www.cafepress.com/+,954530397?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=pla-google&utm_campaign=7979505756-d-c&utm_content=83814261273-adid-395151690662&utm_term=pla-1396845372217-pid-954530397&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SeM10JbFgeus96hEedn0d0m2Kkz6Z91-frlEIUh-3ZD2w89j8EUmCsaAvnAEALw_wcB

The fact of the matter is, every one of us allows
third parties to store data on all our devices, all
the time, and send it back out on the network,
completely unsupervised by us, even though
it could contain data which is illegal to cross
certain arbitrary political boundaries.

I understand where you're coming from, I really
do.

But I don't think people stop and think about just
how completely that ship has sailed, from a legal
standpoint.  You could have been asked by a random
website to store code which is illegal to export in a
cookie which is then offered back up to any other
website in whatever jurisdiction around the globe
that asks for it, and you'll be completely unaware
of it, because we've all gotten past the point of "ask
me about every cookie" being a workable setting on
any of our devices.

Go ahead.  Turn off all cookie support on all your devices
for 24 hours.  Don't let any of that third party data in or out
of your home during that time.

Let me know how well that turns out.

Bonus points if you enforce it on your family/spouse/SO/partner
at the same time, and they're still talking to you at the end of the
24 hours.  ;-P

Matt