massive facebook outage presently

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Oct 5 04:31:26 UTC 2021

On 10/4/21 20:48, Luke Guillory wrote:

> I believe the original change was 'automatic' (as in configuration
> done via a web interface). However, now that connection to the outside
> world is down, remote access to those tools don't exist anymore, so
> the emergency procedure is to gain physical access to the peering
> routers and do all the configuration locally.

Q: What is automation?
A: Breaking the network at scale.

I suppose we shall know more in the coming days, but to me, it smells
like a wide-scale automatic update roll-out that didn't go to plan.
Isn't the first time a major content provider has suffered this; likely
won't be the last.

In the end, the best thing for all of us is that it is a teaching
moment, and we move the needle forward.

Mark.