IPv6 and CDN's

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sun Nov 28 13:59:57 UTC 2021

Baldur Norddahl wrote:

>> But, with manually configured IP addresses, it is trivially easy
>> to have a rule to assign lower part of IP addresses within a subnet
>> for hosts and upper part for routers, which is enough to troubleshoot
>> most network failures.

> 99% if not 100% of our subnets have either only routers or only hosts + a
> gateway.

It merely means you should not use MAC address based IP addresses for,
at least, routers, which is partly why opex of IPv4 is low.

> So that would be a strange rule to follow. Also very expensive if we
> are talking public addressing.
>
> I find that 10.x.y.z is not much if you want to have a system in
> your subnet numbering.

In most cases, it is enough that addresses are unique within
certain domain, which is why many ISPs are assigning addresses,
not guaranteed to be globally unique, to there internal routers.

> With ipv6 there is much more space to enable systematic numbering
> schemes.

More space, only to encourage stupid idea of MAC address based
addresses of IPv6/ND, is not required for systematic numbering.

						Masataka Ohta