Latency/Packet Loss on ASR1006

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Sat Nov 27 11:31:59 UTC 2021

I mean a router without ASIC based forwarding like a Juniper MX or Nokia 7750. The advantage of the 1k is you don't need a services card for cgnat, but the large disadvantage is everything passes through the ESP processor and this often leads to disappointing results under load.

>I'm not sure what a CPU based box means here. ASR1k isn't using a general purpose core like PQ3, INTC or AMD. Like CRS-1 and nPower, ASR1k has Cisco made forwarding logic using cores from tensilica (CPP10/popey I believe was 40 x Tensilica DI 570T, next iteration was
64 cores).

--
  ++ytti