New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri May 28 15:10:10 UTC 2021

Yes, the video doorbell and similar cameras are a great example of a
product that barely existed a few years ago and are now common place
(and one that is driving the need for change in the WiFi and broadband
space). I agree that a 5:1 (down:up) ratio is better than a 10:1 (and
that I do not recommend a 20:1 ratio for most folks).

As someone that has a video doorbell (wired) and several wireless cams,
I can tell you that my experience is that they worked fine on 50Mbps
down/10Mbps up while two folks did WFH. Would my experience have been
better with 25Mbps upload? Possibly. Would it have improved with 100Mbps
instead of 25Mbps? Probably not. At another location I did WFH on a
30M/3M connection with no adverse affects (that would be minus the video
doorbell, but with two WiFi cameras). I'm sure there were bottlenecks,
but either the applications dealt with it intelligently or they shared
the bandwidth well enough so that everything remained usable.