Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Tue Mar 23 18:14:02 UTC 2021

----- On Mar 23, 2021, at 1:09 AM, Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa wrote:

Hi,

> I'm of the opposite view... front-end shiny GUI's are the risk. I'd
> babysit them before I let them leave the house. For a long time.

Children of the magenta line...

Most of the more effective troubleshooting techniques will require some sort
of CLI or CLI-like output. In times of crisis, you'll want to be able to
type "show ip bgp summary", instead of waiting for your browser to send a
javascript request to a server, the server to run a python script invoking
netmiko to log onto a node, grab the output, reformat it, have it sent back
to your browser and rendered.

Not to mention that, like pilots, network engineers need hands-on time to
stay effective. Planes have crashed because pilots lost it and relied on
automation (Asiana 214, anyone?).

That said, as a soon-to-be-dinosaur, I try to keep up with the latest and
greatest. I don't want to run the risk of becoming an ATM engineer.

Thanks,

Sabri