DPDK and energy efficiency

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 02:35:13 UTC 2021

> Server PS maximum input wattage is 900W.  Present draw of 2.0A @ 208V is
~420W, so 420/900 = 46.67%

But in the real world an R640 would *never* draw 900W. Even if you were to
load it up with the maximal CPU configuration (2 x 125W TDP CPU per
socket), a full load of 2.5" 15K spinning drives, maximum RAM, and three
high wattage low-profile PCI-E cards, while simultaneously running CPU, RAM
and disk stress tests, you might get in the neighborhood of 550-600W under
load.

Much the same way that a desktop PC equipped with a nominally "850W" rated
active PFC 80+ gold power supply might be powering a motherboard and CPU
combo with a high CPU TDP, but total power consumption under stress
tests/benchmarks would be nowhere near 850W. That rating exists to ensure
that the power supply isn't running anywhere near its max capacity...