FCC Proposes Ban on Devices Deemed a Threat to National Security

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 18 15:58:51 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
> The NPRM seeks comment on a proposal to prohibit all future authorizations
> of communications equipment that has been determined to pose an
> unacceptable risk to U.S. national security, as identified on the Covered
> List published by the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau.

Translation: how should we generalize the Huawei rule so that we don't
specifically and illegally pick on the Chinese?

The short answer is: you shouldn't. The FCC is poorly equipped to
operate in the national security space and I think changing it's
footing to adequately operate in that space would likely impair its
core mission. Let security agencies decide when an import should be
banned and let them ban it independent of the FCC's activity.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin