FCC Proposes Ban on Devices Deemed a Threat to National Security

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 17:56:08 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
> > The NPRM seeks comment on a proposal to prohibit all future
> authorizations
> > of communications equipment that has been determined to pose an
> > unacceptable risk to U.S. national security, as identified on the Covered
> > List published by the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau.
>
> Translation: how should we generalize the Huawei rule so that we don't
> specifically and illegally pick on the Chinese?

more-over, aren't there lots of other folk making gear (even inside the
US!!!) which
are made up of components/software/etc which MAY be influenced/etc by
foreign actors?

This proposal and the previous version of this conversation/regulation seem
designed
to just be flame-bait in the political space. They can't really have merit
because
who says John Chambers wasn't paid by the Elboniese Ministry of Magics to
insert 'bad things' in all Cisco devices built during his tenure?
   (clearly I'm making up the 'john could have inserted code', but
    take that example for any employee at any of the potential vendors
    or their suppliers)

Also, I wonder:
  "can not use VENDOR in your network..."

does that mean: "only in the USA" or "Anywhere"...
the pedantic (there just aren't these folk in networking, I am assured) out
there could say:
  "Ok, not in the USA.. so the ring around entry points is all VENDOR..
done!"

-chris