New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Thu Jun 3 12:03:57 UTC 2021

Having dealt with this personally, I can guarantee that CAF/RDOF require
phone service to be provided as an option (and no, pointing a customer
toward a third-party voip service doesn't count) to both have an area
counted as "served" (so that you're not overbuilt) and providing phone
service is a condition of these programs.

At this point I'll point out the ridiculousness of the FCC pushing network
neutrality at the exact same time as forcing companies who take these
grants to compete potentially unfairly with internet-based voip providers.

My understanding of the reason is that CAF/RDOF are actually *telephone*
programs which have been extended to do internet.   It's more telephone
w/internet added on than internet w/telephone added on from a policy
standpoint.

--
- Forrest