New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Tue Jun 1 13:49:37 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 7:57 AM Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> On 5/31/21 11:32, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> >
> > Of course there are developing countries where the goal is any
> > internet at all. I hope that is not the case for US broadband.
>
> I have often been surprised about the quality of the Internet in
> "developed" environments :-).
>
> Mark.

One thing to consider in regards to "developing" places - most people in
Africa and India get their internet from SmartPhones/Mobile devices.
Reason being: power, mobility, and that in many places, the phone company
in many locations acts as a "western union" for their areas... including
bill pay/wire transfer and digital wallet.  This is due to everyone has
phone bills/minutes/data to purchase - as well as mobile purchasing with
barcodes/SMS, etc...

They don't really "Netflix and chill" but when they do, you're likely to
see multiple screens occurring and they'll still be on mobile or wifi.  So
4G/5G will be of greater benefit to crowded neighborhoods which there are a
lot of them there. Backhaul could easily occur over the LEO satellite
constellation since it will be a long time before you'll see Africa and
most of Asia needing constant signal coverage.

It's a mistake to think that everyone uses the internet the same way as
people thinking that we all use our cell phones the same way. It's like
when we thought people would be yammering on cellphones while flying... it
didn't happen and it wasn't due to public opinion.  But if we had more data
for less $$$, we would be all over it.  Who wouldn't?  :)