New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Jun 1 14:19:04 UTC 2021

On 6/1/21 15:49, Don Fanning wrote:

> One thing to consider in regards to "developing" places - most people
> in Africa and India get their internet from SmartPhones/Mobile
> devices. Reason being: power, mobility, and that in many places, the
> phone company in many locations acts as a "western union" for their
> areas... including bill pay/wire transfer and digital wallet.  This is
> due to everyone has phone bills/minutes/data to purchase - as well as
> mobile purchasing with barcodes/SMS, etc...

The main reason mobile phones took off in Africa is because while almost
all countries on the continent had some kind of national telephone
network and infrastructure for at least 2.5 decades after independence,
it suffered neglect. It wasn't until around 1998 - 2003 that mobile
operators sprang up all over the continent, and immediately made
landlines obsolete.

Had public PTT's been serious and kept looking to grow and serve,
post-independence, they may not have survived the "scourge" of the
mobile network, but they would have been in a great position to deliver
wire-based Internet access, be it copper or fibre, later in their lives.

That innovative services such as phone banking have emerged simply goes
to show that the mobile phone (and the network it rides on) is a pathway
to solving problems in a local community in a way that matters to them.
No point in crying about not being able to open a bank account simply
because you don't have a national ID or a street address, when someone
who cares can build a simple version of the need for use on even the
cheapest of un-smartphones.

> They don't really "Netflix and chill" but when they do, you're likely
> to see multiple screens occurring and they'll still be on mobile or wifi.

Most users in Africa that can afford Netflix will usually have some kind
of wired service, or failing that, will use a MiFi router that
translates 4G to wi-fi. The mobile companies have data plans for all
major content services, so that helps deal with affordability there.

>   So 4G/5G will be of greater benefit to crowded neighborhoods which
> there are a lot of them there.

For me, I still don't see 5G being a model for the mobile operators; too
much cost in a space where 4G isn't struggling.

Moreover, 5G makes sense in dense cities where fibre is already
available. Given the chance, the kids will choose wi-fi over *G, even if
you offer them unlimited mobile data.

> Backhaul could easily occur over the LEO satellite constellation since
> it will be a long time before you'll see Africa and most of Asia
> needing constant signal coverage.

Africa's days of satellite to build backbones are long behind it. Fibre
may not be able to reach all the people, but it will reach the data
centres, and the mobile towers.

> It's a mistake to think that everyone uses the internet the same way
> as people thinking that we all use our cell phones the same way.

+1.

Mark.