A crazy idea

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jul 19 14:06:45 UTC 2021

> On Jul 19, 2021, at 9:04 AM, Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:
>
> On 7/19/21 5:41 AM, Feldman, Mark wrote:
>> What you propose is not outlandish; some ISPs have been dual stack
>> and providing some combination of these services for years.  They
>> already provide IPv6 ip6.arpa delegations should their business
>> customers want them.  Some even provide at least a /56 so customers
>> can have multiple /64 subnets.  And we, I mean they, can also provide
>> RFC2317 in-addr.arpa delegations for those smaller IPv4 blocks.
>
> The part that is missing isn't the "some ISPs", it's "all ISPs".  Also, I don't know of any DNS service provider that offers a product to handle delegations from the IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA trees.
>
> I'm focusing on the SOHO customer market with my proposal.

Most are regional carriers w/ monopoly and no incentive to offer anything else.  This is especially the case with AT&T in my area.  The same applies to other regional providers like Frontier and even services like Verizon FIOS that do not offer IPv6 at all.

You really want a SMB connection w/ dedicated IP space, and they may not be able to sell that to you on their consumer network.

- Jared