A crazy idea

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Mon Jul 19 13:04:39 UTC 2021

On 7/19/21 5:41 AM, Feldman, Mark wrote:
> What you propose is not outlandish; some ISPs have been dual stack
> and providing some combination of these services for years.  They
> already provide IPv6 ip6.arpa delegations should their business
> customers want them.  Some even provide at least a /56 so customers
> can have multiple /64 subnets.  And we, I mean they, can also provide
> RFC2317 in-addr.arpa delegations for those smaller IPv4 blocks.

The part that is missing isn't the "some ISPs", it's "all ISPs".  Also,
I don't know of any DNS service provider that offers a product to handle
delegations from the IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA trees.

I'm focusing on the SOHO customer market with my proposal.

The allocation of IPv6 space with prefixes shorter than /64 is indeed a
consideration for bigger administrative domains like country
governments, but on the other end, SOHO customers would be happy with
/96, /104 or even /112 allocations if they could get them.  (Just how
many light bulbs, fridges, toasters, doorbells, phones, &c does SOHOs
have?)  I would *not* like to see "us" make the same mistake with IPv6
that was made with IPv4, handing out large blocks of space like so many
pieces of M&M or Skittles candy.