[**EXTERNAL**] Re: Half Fibre Pair

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Jan 27 18:28:48 UTC 2021

On 1/27/21 18:11, Rod Beck wrote:

> What is interesting is this new deep sea design. In the old days
> cables had 4 to 8 pairs max. Now I am seeing Orange talking about 18
> pairs and 24 pairs. With more widely regeneration.

Because of the way current submarine cables are being built (mainly by
the content folk, less by traditional telco's), limiting the number of
fibre pairs does not make sense anymore, especially for them since they
would be partnering with some carriers along the route.

I mean, you're already laying it. Fibre, itself, doesn't cost that
much... the cost is elsewhere.

Mark.