DoD IP Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 20 18:48:37 UTC 2021

> On Jan 20, 2021, at 07:11 , Brandon Martin <lists.nanog at monmotha.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/20/21 9:58 AM, j k wrote:
>> My question becomes, what level of risk are these companies taking on by using the DoD ranges on their internal networks? And have they quantified the costs of this outage against moving to IPv6?
>
> Honestly I can't think of much unless maybe they're a defense contractor that would potentially end up with DoD ranges (non-isolated/classified networks) in their view of the global routing table.  Appropriately treating it like "my networks" and/or RFC1918 in your routing policies (not exporting it, not accepting routes for it, etc.) would be required to properly ensure network stability of course.

Do you think this still holds true if DoD were to (e.g.) sell that space to $CLOUD_PROVIDER or $ISP or $SUPPLIER or…?

I don’t have any knowledge of any events surrounding this space currently, but I do know that press releases and congress have discussed that possibility, so it cannot be ruled out.

Owen