DoD IP Space

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Jan 20 19:05:40 UTC 2021

On 1/20/21 1:48 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Do you think this still holds true if DoD were to (e.g.) sell that space to $CLOUD_PROVIDER or $ISP or $SUPPLIER or…?
>
> I don’t have any knowledge of any events surrounding this space currently, but I do know that press releases and congress have discussed that possibility, so it cannot be ruled out.

This is a risk you take when using squad space of any form.  DoD space
is somewhat uniquely "safe" in this regard but not immune to such things.

Honestly I'd be just about as worried as a potential legitimate non-DoD
public Internet user of that space about reachability issues as I would
as someone squatting on it internally within my network about it
becoming a part of the common global routing table.

I also suspect your typical large corporate environment cares less about
broad, global reachability than other Internet users in many cases.
--
Brandon Martin