NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Wed Jan 6 00:44:22 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 4:31 PM Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> said:
> [...]
>
> I don't know if an unsubscribed cell phone gets the emergency alerts (I
> know you are supposed to be able to call 911 from any cell phone, even
> if not carrying paid service).  If so, that'd be another cheap way to
> get alerts.

Now *that* sounds like a good, feasible middle ground;
simply ensure cellular devices don't need an active plan
to get alerts sent, and we can give out older, donated
phones to people who don't have their own to act as
receivers for alerts.

Much easier than trying to stuff receivers into smoke detectors!  :)

Thanks!

> --
> Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>

Matt