NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Wed Jan 6 00:29:18 UTC 2021

Once upon a time, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> said:
> If we're going to postulate every citizen of the country having a cell
> phone,
> then we should first postulate the system whereby the government provides
> them free to every citizen, with a minimum level of access provided free to
> all users.

You are going from a false base in this particular point, because the
current alert systems all require people to purchase their own devices,
except for locations with alert sirens.  Even those are typically only
designed to alert people outdoors (of course, if you live close enough,
they'll wake you up, but that's not the primary intent).

IF you own a cell phone, there's an alert system.  IF you own a
weather/all-hazards radio, there's an alert system.  The government
doesn't provide equipment to receive either of those.

I feel that trying to shove alerts down a streaming path is a bad idea,
because that's yet another geo-location thing the providers will get
wrong.  I agree that cell phones provide sufficient coverage already
(nothing will be 100%), and for people that care, buy a radio.  If you
can't figure out to program it, get help - there are regular help days
around here from TV stations and EMS and such (or at least there were
pre-COVID).

The alerts on cable TV are already annoying enough - I've been watching
severe weather coverage of radar showing a cell moving towards my house
when the alert comes on and takes over my TV for the time it takes to
repeat what I've already heard from my weather radio.  Now if I want to
continue to see live radar coverage, I have to get out a portable TV and
connect to the outside antenna (I cannot get good TV signals inside my
house because of terrain, despite being only about 7-8 miles from the
transmitters).

I don't know if an unsubscribed cell phone gets the emergency alerts (I
know you are supposed to be able to call 911 from any cell phone, even
if not carrying paid service).  If so, that'd be another cheap way to
get alerts.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>