NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Jan 4 04:43:57 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 5:03 PM Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:

> >I think the challenge here is that there's a category of people
> >who don't have cell phones, who don't have cable TV, but
> >receive content over their internet connection.  I happen to
> >live with someone like that, so I know it's a non-zero portion
> >of the population.
>
> I pay for my Internet connection and I do not want "your shit" to be
> spending "my money".  If you think this is oh so important then *YOU* can
> pay to install at your sole expense, a device which emits your silly
> warnings -- I do not want them.  You will also have to negotiate for
> easement rights on my Private Property and those are not going to be given
> away for cheap.

I take it you chant the same diatribe at your television when your
video bandwidth is *stolen* by the emergency broadcast notification
system, as it marches across the top of your screen?

After all, you've paid for your television feed, and you don't
want those "emergency broadcast messages" spending
*your money*.  Dammit, how dare they interrupt those
precious seconds of the nightly news to tell you there's
a flash flood warning for your county?

There's already precedent set.

I think that ship sailed long before you started attempting to drill holes
through the hull.
;P

Matt