Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Mon Feb 22 18:48:21 UTC 2021

When I lived in Oklahoma, the mantra of the locals was "if you don't
like the weather, wait five minutes."  As a member of a Boy Scout troop
in the northern part of the Sooner State, we were told, repeatedly, to
expect anything from broiling to deep freeze on our campouts.

One such outing was on fallow farmland.  Because the campsite was in the
middle of nowhere, we were a small group, and came in three cars.  We
pitched four tents.  During the night, a gullywasher came through and
dropped several inches of water in one hour.  Three of the tents were
inundated with water, and the campers ended up sleeping in the cars.  My
tent was dry inside, because my tent-mate and I had seen the storm
clouds, dug a trench around the tent, and loosened the ropes.  It helped
that we had pitched the tent on a slight mound.

Some disasters are unavoidable, like tornados.  Others allow for
mitigation by the thoughtful.