Famous operational issues

Erik Sundberg ESundberg at nitelusa.com
Thu Feb 18 18:32:03 UTC 2021

Worked a cronic support call where their internet would bounce at noon every workday. The Cisco 1601 or 1700 Router that had there T1 in, ended up being on top a microwave. Weeks of troubleshooting and shipping new routers on this one.

Also had another one where the router was plugged in to an outlet that was controlled by a light switch, discovered this after shipping them two new routers.

Customer had there building remodeled and the techs counldn't find the T1 Smartjack for the building. The contract who did the remodel job, decided it would be a good idea to cut out the section of wall where the telco equipment was and mounted it to the ceiling. It's new location was in the ladys bathroom, above the drop ceiling mounted to the building's rafters 10' in the air.

Customer needed a new router, because the first one died. It was a machine shop and they mounted the router to the wall next to a lathe or drill press that used oil to cool the bit while it was cutting. It looked like some dumped the router in a bucket of oil when we got it back.

Arriving at another large colo for a buildout. Only to find that our ASR9K that arrived 2 weeks ago was stored outside on the load dock which has no roof or locked gate. I guess that why Cisco put the plastic bag over the chassis when there shipped.

Colo techs at another larger colo decided to unpack our router which was a fully loaded 1/2 rack chassis. Since they couldn't lift it, they tipped the router on the side and walked it back by shifting the weight from one corner of the chassis to another. Bending the chassis. I could see the scrap marks in the floor from it.

We had colo space in top floor of an ATT CO where we put a Cisco 7513 to terminate about a dozen CHDS3's. The roof was leaking and instead of fixing the roof. The fix was to put a sheet of plastic over our cabinet. It was more like a tent over the cabinet.  A pool of water formed in a diviot at the top and it was 120+ degrees under the plastic tarp.

Our office was in a work loft off an older building and they had the AC unit mounted to the ceiling with a drip pan underneath them. Well, AC on the 2nd floor had the pump for the drip pan died. Who every installed the drip pan didn't secure it or center it under the AC unit. It filled up with water and since it was not secured and was off centered. The drip pan came crashing down with a few gallons of water. The water worked it's way over to the wall and traveled down one story in the building. The floor below had all the telco equipment mounted to that same wall and the water flowed down right through a couple of ATT's Ciena mounted to the wall shorting them out. I was at the Chicago Nanog Hackathon on Sunday and was called out to work that one 😕

Was working in the back of a cabinet that had -48 VDC power for a Cisco Router, a screw fell and shorted out the power. My co worker who was standing in front of the rack wasn't happy because the ADC PowerWorx Fuse panel was about 6" from his face where he was working. It had those little black alarm fuses, that had the spring-loaded arm. When it tripped a nice shower of sparks had flew right at his face Luckly he wore glasses.

I was 18 at my first IT job and it was a brand-new building. I was plugging in a 208VAC 30A APC UPS in the server room the electrican had just energized and check the circuit. I plugged in the APC UPS and gave it a good turn for the twist lock plug to catch and KA BAMB!!! Sparks came shooting out of the outlet at me. I think I pooped myself that day. Turns out the electricians deiced that a single Gange electrical box was good enough for a 208 VAC 30A outlet, that barely fit in the box. Didn't put any tape around the wire terminals. When they energized the circuit there was enough of an air gap that the hot screw didn't ground out. When I gave it that good old twist while plugging in the APC, I grounded the hot screw to the side of the electrical box.