Famous operational issues

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Feb 18 16:23:27 UTC 2021

On 2/18/21 1:07 AM, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> On that note, I'd be very interested in hearing stories of actual
> incidents that are the cause of why cardboard boxes are banned in many
> facilities, due to loose particulate matter getting into the air and
> setting off very sensitive fire detection systems.

I had a customer that tried to stack their servers - no rails except the
bottom most one - using 2x4's between each server. Up until then I
hadn't imagined anyone would want to fill their cabinet with wood, so I
made a rule to ban wood and anything tangentially related (cardboard,
paper, plastic, etc.). Easier to just ban all things. Fire reasons too
but mainly I thought a cabinet full of wood was too stupid to allow.

The "no wood" rule has become a fun story to tell everyone who asks how
that ended up being a rule. The wood customer turned out to be a
complete a-hole anyway, wood was just the tip of the iceberg.