DoD IP Space

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Feb 14 02:24:37 UTC 2021

Apologies for the top-post to a bottom-thread; I blame Outlook.

I was going to comment that in a couple of corporate network engineering roles I've had, the lack of the business case has always been to highlight that all the things we want to reach on the Internet can be accessed by IPv4.

So the business case will be the 'killer app' or perhaps 'killer service' that's IPv6-only and that'll provide a business reason.

But chicken and egg.. who wants to run a service that's IPv6-only and miss out on such a big userbase?

What remains is sliding IPv6 in as a minimal-cost service upgrade when you lifecycle your equipment.  And when it's not minimal-cost (due to perhaps, complex firewall/nat arrangements), it's still a hard ask.

I don't have the answer to this yet, but occasionally a tech-savvy executive buys-in on the need to future-proof things.

Mark.