DoD IP Space

Willy Manga mangawilly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 04:33:05 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 11/02/2021 13:00, nanog-request at nanog.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 09:50:56 -0800
> From: Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us>
>[...] On 2/10/21 5:56 AM, Ca By wrote>
>> The 3 cellular networks in the usa, 100m subs each, use ipv6 to uniquely
>> address customers. And in the case of ims (telephony on a celluar), it
>> is ipv6-only, afaik.
> So that answers the question of how to scale networks past what can be
> done with 1918 space. Although why the phones would need to talk
> directly to each other, I can't imagine.

- P2P applications?

- (because I'm tethering,) enable customers to share a service to other
people without relying to (many) external parties? (actually, that was
the purpose of the Internet since the beginning if I'm right)

- ...

> I also reject the premise that any org, no matter how large, needs to
> uniquely number every endpoint. When I was doing IPAM for a living, not
> allowing the workstations in Tucson to talk to the printers in Singapore
> was considered a feature. I even had one customer who wanted the
> printers to all have the same (1918) IP address in every office because
> they had a lot of sales people who traveled between offices who couldn't
> handle reconfiguring every time they visited a new location. I thought
> it was a little too precious personally, but the customer is always
> right.  :)

Here comes the DNS imho if it was accepted by the customer. Same result,
better management and flexibility...

> Sure, it's easier to give every endpoint a unique address, but it is not
> a requirement, and probably isn't even a good idea. Spend a little time
> designing your network so that the things that need to talk to each
> other can, and the things that don't have to, can't. I did a lot of
> large multinational corporations using this type of design and never
> even came close to exhausting 1918 space.

Here comes your firewall rules and all your ACL ... easier with IPv6 imho

--
Willy Manga
@ongolaboy