DoD IP Space

Jim Shankland nanog at shankland.org
Thu Feb 11 21:11:33 UTC 2021

On 2/11/21 6:29 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> On Feb 11, 2021, at 05:55 , Izaac <izaac at setec.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 04:04:43AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> without creating partitioned networks.
>> Ridiculous.  Why would you establish such a criteria?  The defining
>> characteristic of rfc1918 networks is that they are partitioned.
>>
>> The ability to recognize and exploit partitions within a network,
>> natural or otherwise, is the measure of competence in a network
>> engineer.
>>
>> Stop making excuses.
> Ridiculous… TCP/IP was designed to be a peer to peer system where each endpoint was uniquely
> addressable whether reachable by policy or not.
>
> IPv6 restores that ability and RFC-1918 is a bandaid for an obsolete protocol.
>
> Stop making excuses and let’s fix the network.
>
> Owen

TCP/IP wasn't designed; it evolved (OK, a slight exaggeration). The
ISO-OSI protocol stack was designed. Many years ago, I taught a course
on TCP/IP networking. The course was written by someone else, I was just
being paid to present/teach it. Anyway, I vividly remember a slide with
bullet points explaining why TCP/IP was a transitional technology, and
would be rapidly phased out, replaced by the "standard", intelligently
designed ISO-OSI stack. By the time I taught the course, I had to tell
the class that every single statement on that slide was incorrect. In
the end, evolution beat out intelligent design, by a country mile.

It was probably a couple of years later -- the year definitely started
with a 1 -- that I first heard that IPv4 was being phased out, to be
replaced over the next couple of years by IPv6. We've been hearing it
ever since.

That doesn't mean that we'll be living with IPv4 forever. A peer to peer
system where each endpoint is uniquely addressable is desirable. But in
a world of virtual machines, load balancers, etc., the binding of an IP
address to a particular, physical piece of hardware has long since
become tenuous. IPv4 is evolving into a 48-bit address space for
endpoints (32-bit host + 16-bit port). That development has extended
IPv4's useful life by many years.

There is pain associated with continuing to make IPv4 work. And there is
pain associated with transitioning to IPv6. IPv6 will be adopted when
the pain of the former path is much larger than the pain of the latter
path. Saying "RFC-1918 is a bandaid for an obsolete protocol" is using a
normative, rather than empirical, definition of "obsolete". In the
empirical sense, things are obsolete when people stop using them. Tine
will tell when that happens.

Jim Shankland