questions about ARIN ipv6 allocation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 8 08:12:05 UTC 2021

> On Dec 6, 2021, at 19:28, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 5:59 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> The situation is such that the current economic incentives would be most advantageous to me to preserve my LRSA and abandon my RSA, which would involve simply turning off IPv6.
>
> While the details are certainly yours to keep private,
> from other statements made, or implied, it sounded
> as if consolidating all your resources under a single
> RSA was the most financially advantageous to you
> *today* (as in saving you money *today*).  And all
> that while allowing you to continue to be connected
> to the entire Internet (which includes IPv6), which
> I would presume you wish to be.

No, if I consolidated under an RSA today, I would face a substantial fee increase (roughly double my 2021 fees). By abandoning my current RSA, I would achieve a nominal fee decrease. (Roughly half my 2021 fees).

> Of course, it does go without saying, that no one
> can predict future fees, so whether one would
> continue to save with a combined RSA, and for
> how long, is unknowable.

I fully expected fee increases. What I didn’t predict was the board first changing from fee per organization to fee per record and now the change eliminating the ability of end users to pay per record instead of on the basis of total holdings.

I further failed to anticipate that the change to fee per resource would cause ARIN to suddenly divide my existing single organization into two separate organizations.

> You place your bets
> and take your chances (in ten to twenty years
> we will know if moving to a consolidated RSA
> would have saved you money vs. separate
> accounts).  That those that feel their admitted
> foolishness in the past may influence their
> future choices, is a given.

Guaranteed eliminating my RSA is the most cost effective alternative both now and in the future.

The trade off, of course is that means turning off IPv6 in my environment or going to PA for v6. Probably I’d just turn it off rather than go to PA.

Owen