Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Aug 31 10:36:19 UTC 2021

On 8/31/21 12:26, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:

> Yes.   Or any other furnace where the electricity is only used for
> circulation of the heat.  Gas fired Hot water furnaces would be
> another example where there is minimal electricity used to run the
> furnace controls and circulate the hot water.

Gas-fired furnaces or heaters should not have an impact because the only
electrical requirement is to fire up the pilot light.

But fully-electric heating has a much higher impact on energy sources
(heat pumps being the least).

I believe typical electric central furnaces are anywhere between 10kW -
15kW systems. Would a standard 4kVA - 8kVA generator for average Jane
cut it? Not sure.

Then again, I live in a more forgiving climate, so I have a very limited
need to understand this better.

But I can understand why the code has not caught up to this yet, and
insists on hard-wiring the devices... because the majority of home and
buildings will still be using all-electric equipment that require plenty
of energy, where things can go wrong if you allow Jane to just run her
suicide cord any way she may like. Yes, there may be more folk moving
over to other energy sources that eliminate or reduce the need for
electricity, but the code has to cater for the wider demographic.

Mark.