Main electric transmission towers collapsed--New Orleans at 11% Internet connectivity

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Aug 30 15:08:55 UTC 2021

Unlike other utilities, I have not seen any outage reports directly from
the major telecommunications companies serving Louisiana and New Orleans.

9-1-1 out of service in three parishes (Orleans, Jefferson, St. Tammany).

100% of power is out in 4 parishes, over 80% power out in 14 parishes.

Many anedoctal reports of cell and telecommunications outages in
southeastern Louisiana.

Netblocks reports 89% network connectivity outage in New Orleans.
IODA.CADA.ORG reports 66% network connectivity outage in Louisiana.
BGP route annoucements is stable, which likely indicates major backbones
are not damaged (or they don't have backbone infrastructure in the region).

The major wireless providers have announced they are waiving the usual
overage and billing charges for zip codes affected by Hurricane Ida.  No
direct outage details from telecommunications and cable providers yet.

FCC activated DIRS over the weekend, so we should be seeing the
initial FCC report late Monday afternoon.