Myanmar internet - something to think about if you're having a bad day

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 18:00:49 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 1:55 PM Bradley Huffaker <bhuffake at caida.org> wrote:

> Censorship does not need to be complete to be highly effective.  Almost
> all regulation, drugs/speeding/etc,  is designed to increase the cost to
> the point were “most” individuals are discouraged. While VPNs can be used
> to bypass China’s Great Firewall the added friction is enough to keep most
> happily engaged with easer distractions.

I'm glad someone noted this...
I'd also say that it seems to me that the restrictions are a LOT like
'seatbelt laws' in the US, where most states enforce as a secondary action:
  "Oh you were speeding AND you aren't wearing a seat belt, bonus fine"
  (note: I'm a seatbelt user, just using this as an example)

and that the censorship  COULD be used as a further action for repressing
folk:
  "Oh, you came to our attention for <free speech|having a sign|walking
around at night aimless| selling a single cigarette>, oh and you're using a
VPN to get around #dearleader'srestrictions?? max fine"