DoD IP Space

Michael Butler imb at protected-networks.net
Sun Apr 25 16:48:29 UTC 2021

On 4/25/21 12:32 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> john,
>
> my altzheimer's device tells me that some years back there was a
> documented written agreement between arin and the dod along the lines of
> dod getting a large swath of ipv6 space[0] in exchange for agreeing to
> return[1] or otherwise put into public use a half dozen ipv4 /8s.
>
> could you refresh my memory, e.g. with the document, please?  thanks.
>
> randy
>
> --
>
> [0] which they are still trying to figure out how to use; bit isn't half
>      the internet in a similar pinch. :)
>
> [1] since the dod probably did not get the space from arin, 'return' is
>      probably not a good term.

The footnote (11) on page 7 of https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-20-402.pdf
seems to be most relevant ..

"We are not aware of any statutory requirements that directly address
the ability of a government agency to transfer or sell IP addresses to a
third party, but DOD would face legal and policy constraints to any
potential sale or transfer of the addresses to a third party outside of
the government. Among other things, this is because DOD entered into an
agreement with the American Registry for Internet Numbers. Specifically,
this agreement states the department must return unused addresses to the
registry."

	imb