DoD IP Space

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Apr 25 20:36:12 UTC 2021

Randy -

We don’t generally speak about specific customers – but I do acknowledge this is a bit of an unusual case...

There was no exchange at all, but rather the US DoD wanted to make sure that (if at some
point in the future) they had excess IPv4 resources that the DoD retained the ability to reutilize such elsewhere within the US Government rather than returning them to ARIN.

(You have to remember this was a point in time when many organizations were retuned unused IPv4 blocks in order to help with IPv4 longevity...)

ARIN provided them clarity in that regard (as requiring return when other departments had need for IPv4 number resources was never the intent), and that has since been completely preempted by the adoption of transfer policies by the ARIN community.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO