BFD for routes learned trough Route-servers in IXPs

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 22 12:14:45 UTC 2020

> On Sep 22, 2020, at 4:46 AM, Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Douglas Fisher wrote:
>> B) There is any other alternative to that?
>
> Don't connect to IXPs with very very large and complicated topologies. Connect to local IXPs where the design makes a forwarding plane failure that causes the problem you describe less likely.

Or don’t use a route server except to bootstrap.  I regularly see issues related to them.  I get it’s not easy to peer at an IXP, but IXP peering isn’t for everyone as some people might make it sound.  This is why back in the day there was a push to require 24x7 staffing of the remote side to ensure it was being monitored/supported.

That may no longer apply to many people, but without active monitoring, you won’t know what the state is of the remote side.

- Jared